The secret to aging gracefully? Keeping up with your health!
September is Healthy Aging Month
Aging seems more worrisome than ever before, since the arrival of COVID-19. It can seem overwhelming to think about your health, and adding concerns over aging into the mix is even more stressful!
But, there is good news. The formula to feeling good while aging is the same as it ever was. Read on to discover ways to boost your mood, energy and health as you age.
When you can, get together with groups for hobbies or exercise. Even when you can’t leave the house, you can join exercise, art, music groups, and more through your computer or phone. YouTube is full of great options for at-home activities.
And, don’t forget to go outside regularly. Walks in the park or even spending time in the backyard will give you a much-needed change of scenery.
It’s not always easy to be social, especially with concerns over COVID-19. But, it’s still important to keep up with your friends and family. Set reminders for yourself to call or video chat on a regular basis.
Watch what you eat.
Eating healthy can seem like a chore, but it doesn’t have to be. Making small changes can seriously add up. Here are a few suggestions:
- Drink more water. Hydration goes a long way toward preventing health problems and keeping you healthy.
- Switch out sugary treats for berries, like blueberries. They’re full of essential vitamins, and they taste great!
- Add yogurt to your breakfast. Probiotics help maintain healthy digestion.
Adding daily movement to your schedule is proven to help add years to your life … and life to your years! According to the National Institute on Aging, you should focus on four main categories of exercise:
- Endurance. This is also known as aerobic exercise, and it increases your heart and breathing rates. Regular endurance exercise decreases your risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and more. Try walking, yard work like mowing or raking, dancing, swimming or biking.
- Strength. Focusing on muscle strength decreases the risk for osteoporosis, and keeps you living independent for longer. Try lifting light weights or using resistance bands in your exercise routine. Don’t do too much, too fast! If you’re not used to strength training, it will take some time to build up your muscles.
- Balance. Balance exercises can help reduce the risk of falls, and reduce stress. Try yoga or tai chi movements. You can also add simple balance moves like holding onto a chair and standing on one leg, or walking heel-to-toe in a straight line.
- Flexibility. Stretching your muscles helps with balance and preventing injury. Yoga helps with flexibility. You can also add simple stretches for legs, arms and back to your routine.
If you’re unsure of how to start your exercise routine, check with your local senior center. There are classes and coaches who can help you get started with a routine that’s healthy for you!
Safety tips from HealthStar Premier Medical:
With any exercise, make sure you stay well-hydrated and listen to your body! Exercise will push you, but it shouldn’t hurt. If you have any questions or concerns, stop and contact us right away.
Make sure you keep up with healthcare appointments.
As you age, it’s important to monitor blood pressure, blood sugar, bone density and other vital health signs. Even if you don’t have any symptoms, establishing and maintaining a regular checkup schedule will help you and your physician know what’s normal for you, and prevent future health concerns.
HealthStar Premier Medical is committed to healthy aging in East Tennessee.
If you’re looking for a physician in Newport …
Contact HealthStar Premier Medical to get started.
We’re committed to whole family health, and we use a holistic approach, which means we treat every health concern by looking at the bigger picture. Things like nutrition, exercise and mental health matter just as much as medication and vaccines! We can help you feel more empowered about health.
How has COVID-19 affected HealthStar Premier Medical’s office visits?
If you’re concerned about visiting the doctor’s office, know that we’re taking precautions. We’ve always worked to maintain a sterile, clean environment in all our offices. For our employees’ and patients’ protection, we now screen every patient who comes in with health history questions, and a temperature reading. We continue to disinfect all our surfaces often, and wear face masks.
HealthStar Physicians Family Practice is now HealthStar Premier Medical!
We’re still Newport’s compassionate, experienced Osteopathic healthcare providers. We offer a wide range of care, including everything from family care, DOT physicals, vaccines and weight loss management. Click here to learn more.
We’re accepting new patients, and we accept most forms of health insurance. Contact us to find out more.