Read about some tips to keep men living longer, healthier lives.
Let’s hear it for the men in our lives!
HealthStar Physicians Premier Medical is proud to celebrate Men’s Health Month this June.
Why does men’s health month matter? Because men’s health needs are unique, and some of their health risks are greater than women’s. Women continue to live longer than men–in many cases, because men are reluctant to visit the doctors’ office.
- Women outlive men by 5 years, on average.
- Men are more likely to be uninsured than women.
- 1 out of every 2 men are likely to develop cancer.
HealthStar Physicians Premier Medical is hoping to change these statistics.
Join us in celebrating Men’s Health all year!
This year, let’s encourage all the males in our lives to get checkups and prevent health problems before they start.
Focus on heart attack and depression.
The CDC puts special emphasis on heart attack and depression, when it comes to men’s health. Men tend to refuse assistance at a higher rate than women, possibly because they believe they can “handle” a health crisis on their own, or because they don’t want to accept help. But, getting the right medical help can save lives!
In America, both men and women experience heart attacks at the rate of one every 40 seconds! If you or someone you know is having a heart attack symptom, call 911 immediately. The CDC lists these as:
- Pain or discomfort in the jaw, neck, or back
- Feeling weak, light-headed, or faint
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Pain or discomfort in arms or shoulder
- Shortness of breath
Depression affects people of all ages, races and genders. It’s a leading cause of death in men. If you or someone you know is experiencing depression or anxiety, get help. Sometimes, all it takes is reaching out to make a real difference.
Regular checkups can make a difference.
Preventative healthcare really does save lives. Men who keep an eye on their health, and who establish a relationship with a primary care provider, tend to detect life-threatening illnesses (like cancer) faster, which means their chances for recovery are much higher.
Lots of screenings can happen in one visit. Generally, we advise men to start a routine health check schedule that looks something like this:
- Regular checkups every 1-2 years
- Blood pressure checks yearly
- Cholesterol checks every 5 years, if you’re in your thirties or older
- Diabetes checks every 3 years
- Eye exams every 2 years
- Dental checkups every year
- Colon cancer checks after age 50, depending on doctor recommendation
- Osteoporosis checks depending on doctor recommendation
- Lung cancer checks depending on smoking history
- Prostate cancer checks depending on doctor recommendation
If you don’t have an established physician in the Lakeway Area …
It’s time to call HealthStar Premier Medical.
We’ll get you on track to living a longer, healthier life. We use a holistic approach, which means we treat every health concern by looking at the bigger picture. Is your blood pressure related to anxiety? Could digestive issues connect to a medication you’re taking? Thinking about all the ways your body and mind work together can help you enjoy life, longer.
Take control of your health.
There are lots of lifestyle choices men can make to kick the bad habits and feel better. Often, conditions that affect men, such as diabetes, can be better managed by including diet and exercise changes in your healthcare routine.
- Switch out the sugar for fruits, vegetables and protein.
- For heart health, add Omega 3-rich foods like fish and olive oil.
- Cut down on sodium.
- Aim for at least 20 minutes of daily exercise.
- Reduce stress.
- If you smoke, stop!
HealthStar Physicians Family Practice is now HealthStar Premier Medical!
We’re still Newport’s compassionate, experienced Osteopathic healthcare providers. We offer a wide range of care, including everything from DOT physicals, vaccines and weight loss management. Click here to learn more.
We’re accepting new patients, and we accept most forms of health insurance. Contact us to find out more.